Tuesday, January 24, 2012


Figured I should give the Panpastel drawing set a go, this was done with the set of 10. I've never used these pastels or this style before, and I had no idea how the colors were supposed to be used together, of rolled with it and was amazed by the way they started magically coming together as I added the different colors in. I had no idea what the blue pastel was for so I just kind of started throwing it in wherever it felt right and I'm pretty pleased with the end result. It looks sort of like an oil painting, and honestly they handle and mix very similarly to oil paint except they're already dry and smooth.

Apparently the technique is called "colorism" when you use cool colors in the shadow areas and warm colors for the light areas. Too bad somebody else invented it first, because I'm digging this technique after having done so many tonal black & white works, it's really different and fun and refreshing.

9.5x13" on orangeish Fabriano Tiziano paper. About 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment