Monday, February 6, 2012

Darkness and Light



I love this time of year. The weather's been cold but not freezing and there's a certain way the light falls when the sun comes out that results in some fantastic sky patterns. I've never really done any landscapes, much less skyscapes, so I figured I'd go all in and try something dramatic.

This is a view of the sky from my house when it was this brilliant orange and purple color last week.
Totally freehanded this one, no tools/measurements or anything... I don't know how well I could do that for a portrait but it was no problem with scenery.

The foreground scenery was drawn with a soft charcoal stick and the sky was done with a black PanPastel and one of those round sponges as well as the flat, rectangular sponge. I really like PanPastels so far.

9x12" on Strathmore 500 charcoal paper. I'm not sure whether to call this one a drawing or painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment